Tuesday, March 24, 2015

D&Z Chapter 5&8

I have said to begin every blog about D&Z and reading Chapters 5 and 8 proven to have yet again been an enjoyable read. This week's reading were interesting not because they wrote about radically new ideas I have never heard of before, but because they make me see things that I have already heard of in a new way.

For example in Chapter 5 what they called gradual release of responsibility reminded me of creating a lesson plan around Direct Instruction for my Micro teaching I in SED 406. How Daniels and Zemelman discribe gradual release of responsibility goes way beyond a 50 minute class period. I believe that the gradual release could be helpful because more often than not we will have students understand and grasp concepts at different speeds. I also like the idea of gradual release because students can go back if they need to or work without support if they are are ready to move along.

After reading Chapter 5, I realize that I will not be selling this book back. It just has so much valuable information, it would be silly to sell it back for pennies. Aesthetically speaking, the teacher strategies are well organized which makes for easy understanding. I really liked the turn and talk strategy (which we also do in class all the time). I like that it allows shy students to participate and the daydreamers on their toes. It also feels like a momentary break of having to sit silently among 30 students while the same three students do all the talking.

While trying to find a picture that perfectly embodied the turn and talk strategy, I stumbled upon a Pintrest full of funny, teacher oriented memes. Here's one:


1 comment:

  1. Hi Leah!

    First off, I love the picture of Ryan Gosling! Nice inclusion to demonstrate the turn and talk strategy from Chapter 5!

    I agree with you that Daniels and Zemelman’s text is a quite enjoyable read. I like how you note, “This week’s reading was interesting not because they wrote about radically new ideas I have never heard of before, but because they make me see things that I have already heard of in a new way.” It’s so true!

    What caught my attention in your post was the acknowledgement that gradual release of responsibility does not ensure that all students will be ready to proceed individually at the same time. In fact, as you express, students grasp concepts and new ideas at different speeds. Each student is an individual, and therefore, each individual has learning preferences. The support system that backs students who need additional help is great when it allows other confident students to continue with their assignments. So, how do we know when it’s time to start thinking about gradual release?

    ReplyDelete